St. Joseph Medical Center has an active and dedicated volunteer group that exemplifies the program’s mission of delivering compassionate healthcare. Over the years, this enthusiastic group has demonstrated that they don’t feel they have to volunteer their time, they want to.
The volunteer program, for both adults and teens (during the summer months), offers a variety of opportunities that are essential to the hospital. Volunteers say that there are many advantages to volunteering at St. Joseph Medical Center, but the best, by far, is the feeling of being part of the family. They say it’s not only the friendliest place to work; it’s the friendliest place to volunteer!
- Adult volunteers are 18 years of age and older
- Junior volunteers are ages 15 to 17 and volunteer six weeks during
- June and July (applications are accepted in April)
- Volunteers are asked to give a minimum of four hours each week
Benefits of volunteering at St. Joseph Medical Center
- Complimentary meal for volunteers who work a minimum of four hours in a day
- Free parking
- Free flu shot
- Free volunteer uniform (vest for men, jacket for women and polo shirt for junior volunteers)
- Recognition parties and awards
- Speaker luncheons
- New friends
- Sense of satisfaction from helping others
- Being a vital member of the SJMC family!
Volunteers work as Eucharistic Ministers, at the Information Desk, in waiting rooms and a variety of hospital departments: Volunteer Office, Medical Records, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Emergency Room, Medical Staff Office and Human Resources. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Eucharistic Ministers work with the Spiritual Care department
- Crochet and sew items for babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Deliver reading materials to patients
- Collate patient information folders
- Participate in fundraisers
- Proceeds benefit the March of Dimes, American Diabetes
- Jewelry Sale
- Book Fair
- Candle Sale
- Bake Sale
- Used Book Sale
If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of patients and family members at St. Joseph Medical Center, come visit with us. Our family of volunteers is growing, and we would love to include you!
Click on the links below to download the following files:
The Junior Volunteer Application will be available January 2015.
For more information, please call 713.756.5051.